Having trouble viewing this e-mail? Visit http://caps.mcgill.ca/scoop/online/08-09_2007-05-01.html.

CAPS Scoop
Students' Edition
A Publication of McGill's Career & Placement Service (CAPS)
Volume 8, Issue 9
May 2007

In this issue:

1. Summer Workshops

2. Fall Campus Recruitment

3. Le Réseautage

4. Internships

5. May Events

This is the last CAPS Scoop of the semester! Regular editions will start up again in September.

The CAPS office is open all summer long though! Whether you are looking for a summer job or just want some career advice, be sure to stop by and talk to our friendly staff.

Le Réseautage by Joëlle Grundman

Une des façons de trouver un emploi est le réseautage et c’est une méthode très efficace. 80 à 85% des emplois font partie du ‘’marché caché de l’emploi’’ et ne sont donc pas affichés. Le seul moyen d’entendre parler de ces emplois est de parler aux gens qui sont au courant.

Lorsqu’un employeur cherche à embaucher une nouvelle personne, il en parle d’abord autour de lui, à ses employés, ses amis, sa famille. Il va faire tout ce qu’il peut pour ne pas mettre d’annonce car ça coûte cher et ça prend du temps de sélectionner les candidats. Il préfère qu’on lui réfère des candidats plutôt que de choisir des candidats sur papier qu’il n’a jamais rencontrés. Il fait confiance aux gens qui travaillent avec lui ainsi qu’à son entourage. Il fera passer une entrevue aux personnes qualifiées mais il y aura beaucoup moins de concurrence car l’annonce n’aura jamais été publiée.

(continue reading Le Réseautage)

Contact Us

To find out more about CAPS' services or to get career advice, e-mail us.

To write for the Scoop or to volunteer with CAPS, contact Laura Massé.

Summer Workshops

Yes- we are up and running all summer long! Check out our workshop that will be taking place throughout the summer months:

Networking Your Way to the Job You Want

• Wednesday May 16th from 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
  • Thursday July 12th from 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
  • Wednesday June 13th from 10:00 am - 11:30 am

Looking for a Summer Job (non-career)

• Tuesday May 8th from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
  • Successful interview techniques
  • Thursday May 17th from 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
  • Thursday June 14th from 10:00 am - 11:30 am
  • Wednesday July 11th from 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm 

Tree Planting

• Thursday May 10th from 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Writing an Effective C.V.

• Tue May 15th from 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
  • Tuesday June 12th from 10:00 am - 11:30 am
  • Tuesday July 10th from 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm

Visit http://caps.mcgill.ca/services/workshops.php to register!

Don’t miss this year’s fall campus recruitment!

Every September companies come to McGill to recruit students who will be graduating in the spring and are interested in the areas of Consulting, Finance and Information Technology. The competition is fierce, so here’s some insight into what you can expect and how to get prepared.

• Job postings are placed on the CAPS Job Listing Service usually by mid August with application deadlines as early as the second week of classes in September. 
  • Attending info sessions and career fairs to learn about the organizations are a must. Presenters are usually McGill alumni which makes this networking opportunity an excellent forum to learn what the company is looking for in a candidate.  The list of info sessions and career fairs can be found on the CAPS Events Calendar, which is updated daily.
  • Cover Letters and resumes should be updated and ready to go. Always, always tailor your resume and cover letter by emphasizing the match between your skills and the employers’ needs.  We strongly urge you to attend the CAPS CV and Cover Letter workshops, as well as make an appointment with a Career Advisor, before submitting your application. 
  • Interview formats can be behavioral, technical, situational or case.  We encourage you to make an appointment with a Career Advisor to have a mock interview prior to the actual campus recruitment interview.
  • A flexible schedule is important in order to ensure your availability is in line with the needs of the employer.

[back to top]

Internships by Christine Herr

I recently returned home from a six month Canadian International Development Agency Internship in Ghana.  The office I interned with is a locally based non-governmental organization that focuses on HIV/AIDS prevention and support for marginalized people.      

Initially, I spent the majority of my time developing grant proposals and researching possible international sponsors.  Later, I was assigned to work on the World Education sponsored project entitled “Strengthening HIV/AIDS Partnerships in Education.”  Under this project, students from ten local schools are trained as peer leaders and then clubs are formed to discuss issues of reproductive health. 

Without a doubt, I have found that there are certain transferable skills that helped me through my internship.  Some of the skills that are essential for successful international internships are the following:

A New Yardstick for Success
I had to take the time to reevaluate my values and ultimately learn to accept a different work ethic.  It took some time for me to learn how an office environment works in Ghana.  I quickly realized that the characteristics, which make up a Canadian office environment, do not always apply to a Ghanaian environment.  I learnt that the leadership style I was accustomed to is not universal and in the end I had to decide on a new way to measure the success of my internship.   

(continue reading Internships) [back to top]

May Events

May

Be sure to check out our regular workshops on a variety of different topics, such as CV and Cover Letter Writing, Internships and much more! The CAPS Events Calendar also contains a listing of career-related events on and off campus.
7th: Job Finding Club begins
8th: Workshop: Looking for a Summer Job
10th: Summer Job Fair; Workshop: Tree Planting
15th: Workshop: Writing an Effective C.V.
16th: Workshop: Networking Your Way to the Job You Want

17th: Workshop: Successful Interview Techniques

[back to top]

Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Privacy Policy