CAPS Scoop
Students' Edition
Volume 8, Issue 1
September 2006

%Member:CustomField19%:

In this issue:

1. Job Searching 101

2. How Important Are a Strong CV and Cover Letter?

3. Upcoming Events

4. Montreal InVivo Life Sciences Career Fair

5. Macdonald Campus

6. Director's Message

CAPS Student Passport:

Wondering what CAPS can do for you?

Wondering what career is best for you?

Wanting to get started in the workplace?

Looking to build your network of contacts and resources?

Then come to CAPS and get your FREE Passport to Career Education!

Director's Message

I would like to welcome all the new and returning students to McGill. Reading the McGill University CAPS Scoop is a great way to get to know the services available to you at CAPS – McGill’s Career Centre. You’re off to a good start!

We always emphasize the importance of planning ahead and not leaving decisions about your career until graduation. Here at CAPS we can help you with some of this preparation. Not only can we help you find all kinds of jobs and internships, but we also have career advisors who have a wealth of knowledge. We also advise you to grasp any soft skills you can, such as communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills, along with many others because these are the skills that employers are looking for. You can attain and solidify these skills by volunteering and getting involved in campus activities. Getting involved also builds your network of contacts. Many jobs are found in what we call “the hidden job market”, so it’s important to know lots of people.

(continue reading Director's Message)

Contact Us

To find out more about CAPS' services or to get career advice, e-mail us.

To write for the Scoop or to volunteer with CAPS, contact Laura Massé.

Job Searching 101 by Matthew Ruban

“If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” – Unknown

“I leave McGill much like I arrived four short years ago: very nervous.” Those were the opening words of the valedictorian’s speech at convocation in June. He shared those feelings with many graduates, who were faced with uncertain futures and imminent career indecisions. Graduation doesn’t have to creep up that way.

I will start work shortly at an investment bank on Bay Street. The following is my on-campus recruitment story, wherein I hope to motivate you to be proactive about your career planning.

I began my McGill studies in the Faculty of Science. I realized that it wasn’t for me, but I still worked hard for the sake of my grades. At the risk of sounding maternal, I am going to emphasize that getting good grades is the most important step a first-year student can take to help his or her future prospects. Grades offer a quick insight into an individual’s character and are often used as the initial screening process during on-campus recruitment, especially for students with limited work experience.

(continue reading Job Searching 101)

How Important Are a Strong CV and Cover Letter? by Janice Tester

If you believe that first impressions are everything, you would have to agree that the CV and cover letter are where it all begins when talking about the job search. These are likely to be the first two pieces of evidence that employers are going to receive from you.

The goal of your CV is to get an interview. You want to convey to the employer that you are worth spending their time and energy getting to know. Therefore, your CV must be targeted to their needs and show your most relevant experiences and academic background, related to the job at hand, to demonstrate you are a good prospect.

(continue reading How Important Are a Strong CV and Cover Letter) [back to top]

Upcoming Events

September

- Campus Recruitment for Spring 2007 graduates interested in Computer Science, Consulting, Engineering and Investment Banking (corporate presentations occur on a daily basis for permanent opportunities)

- Job application deadlines

- September 19-20: Tech Fair for Engineering and Computer Science

- September 21: Management Career Fair (open to non-Management students as of 13h00)

- September 24-25: Montreal InVivo Career Fair (formerly McGill Bio Fair)

October

- Campus Recruitment: 1st, 2nd and final round interviews occur

- October 25: McGill Arts Graduate and Professional Fair

November

- Campus Recruitment offers are made

- October 30-November 3: CAPS Canada Career Week

January

- Campus Recruitment for Summer 2007 (U2 student internship) positions in Computer Science, Consulting, Engineering and Investment Banking

- January 3-12: Job application deadlines

- Campus Recruitment interviews and offers are made

February
- January 22-February 9: Career Month, including targeted industry panel discussions, Education Career Fair, Non Profit & Public Service Career Fair, Social Work Fair, Agriculture, Dietetics & Environmental Career Fair, Physical & Occupational Therapy Job Fair
March
- Graduate Student Career Week
May
- Job Finding Club for graduating students

[back to top]

Montreal InVivo Life Sciences Career Fair by Linda Cicuta

McGill’s Career & Placement Service (CAPS), and four other universities, have partnered with Montreal InVivo to bring you, what will hopefully be, the largest career fair in the science industry. This event is open to all students and alumni looking for an excellent networking forum and employment opportunities with organizations in the life sciences, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology sectors.

This two day career fair will also offer information sessions on topics such as Careers in Law & Science, Clinical Research, and Opportunities in the Government Sector. These sessions will be followed by a discussion panel with Human Resource professionals sharing their hiring practices and policies.

The fair takes place September 24th and 25th 2006 at the Holiday Inn Montreal–Midtown (420 Sherbrooke W.). For more information, visit the Fair's website.

If you are looking to launch your career in the science industry, whether it is in the business or research division, this is a must attend event! [back to top]

Macdonald Campus by Susan Molnar

We here at the MAC campus offer you a range of services which include individual appointments for job search & career planning purposes, CV Drop-In, workshops tailored to your department, opportunities to meet industry professionals at career fairs, panel discussions, and campus recruitment activities, access to our job postings database, and a resource library. We can help you demystify the job search process, provide mock interviews, master effective follow up strategies, and teach you how to tap into the hundreds of positions that will never be advertised.

To book an appointment with the Career Advisor contact Susan Smith, MAC Office Coordinator at 514-398-7582 or by email at susan.smith@mcgill.ca. [back to top]

McGill students and families enjoy campus during Spring Convocation 2006.

[back to top]